Thursday, December 15, 2005

aplogies... er, apologies

I've had a hard time writing here lately, and have grown tired of my own whiny postings. Apologies to whoever's been reading them. I know that these sick feelings will pass eventually, and I just need to focus on doing the best I can to get through the end of semester, parents' visit, the holidays, in-between-holiday MLA interviews, and preparations for next semester's classes.

I have 6 (interviews) so far, which is more than I've gotten in any other year. Now I just need to prepare for them. I'm naturally a bit of a shy person, and interviews can sometimes be a challenge for me. I need to be able to relax, have some confidence, and just talk about what I do and what I love. It's that engagement that really needs to come across, I think. Wish I could borrow a bit of P.'s charm to take with me, though.

Every time a call comes in (P. has received 3 interview requests for this big math conference in January), we start dreaming about what it would be like to live in New York, in Connecticut, in Pennsylvania, Minnesota, and other places. Finding jobs near each other will be a challenge, but when we're not stressing out about that, it's pretty fun to dream.

4 comments:

jo(e) said...

I bet you have enough of your own charm.

Six interviews! That seems really encouraging.

Anonymous said...

Prof. Z.

Congrats on 6 interviews! But, just think Minnesota! Minnesota!

Prof. R.

(currently in a cold & snowy place, fantasizing about moving to another cold & snowy place. Al Franken could be our Senator.)

Anonymous said...

I've lived in all of those places....and they're all nice. Wishing you the best of luck.

YelloCello said...

Best of luck with the interviews! And congrats on landing six. And I agree with Joe... you'll have plenty of your own charm to show, I'm sure.