Wednesday, March 15, 2006

help

Dear friends of the blogosphere,
It's been a stressful past few weeks. P. and I both got job offers in desirable places, but they were too far apart from each other to make it work. It came down to making a choice between his offer (which might give me part time, adjunct work) and mine (which would have given him a visiting full time instructor job). P. did extremely well on the market this year-- four offers and many more campus visit requests (several of which he turned down), but was worried that taking a ntt position right out of grad school would hurt his chances on the market next year. Emotionally he had a hard time turning down the jobs he did. I was/am also a bit freaked out since leaving a t-t job and giving up another, better t-t offer for low paid adjunct work seems very risky, especially if it's true that only 40% of English phds find academic jobs in the first place, and also because historically I haven't done as well on the market as P.

At any rate, seeing P. so sad and worried really got to me. He was convinced, and convinced me, too, for a while, that even if we went to my offer and both went on the market again next year we'd end up having the same problem. Since his offer was in a better location for finding jobs outside of academe (because we really want to stay together- no long distance commuter marriage for us), we figured maybe in the long run it was smarter to go there. He was feeling guilty. I was the one who even talked him into it; I'd toyed with the idea of exploring jobs outside academe anyway; if we moved to Big City, I could finally try my luck. Plus, with the baby coming, it might be nice not to have to start a new tt job only four weeks or so after the kid is born. Sure, our finances would be a bit tighter for the year, but eventually I might find something, and I could apply for both academic and nonacademic jobs until then, right?

The night we made the decision and I turned down my offer (an offer so generous I really don't think I'll ever get another one like it), I felt strangely calm, even like celebrating. It was so good to have the decision made and behind us. I felt like at last we could move forward; I was resolved.

But now, I'm just sad. I'm not sure I'm ready to give up teaching, and I'm worried I won't be able to get back into tenure-track work. I'm hoping I can use the extra time off to work on publishing a bit more; maybe that will help, but still. I'm scared. And I'm not sure sure HOW to break into other kinds of work, either. The only experience I have is what I've gotten from the academy. The job I have now is the first real job I ever took. I went straight from undergrad to grad school to here, no stops in between.

It's hard talking to P. about this because I don't want to make him feel guilty. I honestly want him to be excited about his job and future. It's just, with my current school now making plans to hire a new person, I'm feeling kinda sad. I need to make plans, figure out what to do with myself, and soon. I've read about non-academic jobs I might have interest in, and they all require writing samples-- preferably free lance work. But how do I get free lance work? (This is an honest question-- if anyone can help, please tell me!)

I know I'll feel better about this decision once we're in Big City and the baby is here, but for now I'm feeling very lost and futureless.

5 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

Those are tough choices to have to make. I can't offer any advice about academic options and how to preserve them, but MC is the person to ask about freelancing.

Wishing you the best of luck with it all!

mc said...

Hi zipzap -- I'd be happy to tell you what I know about freelancing. It'd be helpful for me to know a bit more about what discipline you're in, etc., so it might be better to email me -- michaelamc (at) gmail (dot) com.

What I'm really dying to know is, did the morning sickness finally lift??

jo(e) said...

Making any kind of decision always involves some sadness because to choose one option means turning down other opportunities. Let yourself feel sad and don't waste emotional energy trying not to feel sad. And then move on.

timna said...

Could you still take a leave of absence - for a year? or two? at least have something on the back burner, the option out if your sadness continues? I realize that's not possible with the newer offer, but sometimes there are options left uninvestigated.

good luck.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry.