Saturday, April 15, 2006

I'm kinda consumed with work these days, and probably should be grading, even now. I hate how I've neglected this blog, but when I get this way, when I've worked myself into this big blob of stress, I really just don't like who I am or how I write.

The changes coming in these next few months excite me, but also make me verrrry anxious. Sometimes I feel that the way things have worked out is a good thing-- that the situation will force me to try out a nonacademic job which I have sometimes dreamed about. And yet I worry I just don't have the personality to go out and get such a job. I've only ever been in school-- how do I sell myself as something else? I also worry that finding non-academic work means less time with the baby. And then there's also that fear that I'm just not good enough at anything to get a job I might actually like doing/find meaningful.

See? You don't want to read this.

2 comments:

timna said...

sounds like you're getting ready for many changes. I recognize this trepidation about leaving academics, but I must admit that I don't hear from people who regret it once they've left. hmmm.

Anonymous said...

wow. so much change ahead of you. I'd be worried about you if you weren't at least a little anxious. It'll be okay in the end. And you may learn something really cool...