Sunday, April 10, 2005

more poems... because it's addictive

This evening I bring you two poems by the fabulous Lucille Clifton. The first, a response to the Sharon Olds poem posted on jo(e)'s page, here. The second, for all you historians out there. (I'm starting to sound like a dj [deejay?], no? But if it's poetry & not discs I offer, perhaps a pj is a better word for it?)

I was inspired to collect African American women's poetry some years ago while prepping to teach an intro to poetry class. That's one class (and this is one poet) I'd love to teach again.

Poem in praise of menstruation

if there is a river
more beautiful than this
bright as the blood
red edge of the moon if
there is a river
more faithful than this
returning each month
to the same delta if there

is a river
braver than this
coming and coming in a surge
of passion, of pain if there is

a river
more ancient than this
daughter of eve
mother of cain and of abel if there is in

the universe such a river if
there is some where water
more powerful than this wild
water

pray that it flows also
through animals
beautiful and faithful and ancient
and female and brave

i am accused of tending to the past

i am accused of tending to the past
as if i made it,
as if i sculpted it
with my own hands. i did not.
this past was waiting for me
when i came,
a monstrous unnamed baby,
and i with my mother's itch
took it to breast
and named it
History.
she is more human now,
learning languages everyday,
remembering faces, names and dates.
when she is strong enough to travel
on her own, beware, she will.

poetry Rx: There are other poems of Lucille's here. I recommend the Lorena Bobbit poem & the Clark Kent series, especially if you're looking to put a little spunk back into your step.

poetrymonth

No comments: