Wednesday, April 13, 2005

winging it?

When I started teaching, I was spending on average of 3-5 hours preparing for each class I taught. If that sounds insane to you, it should. These were new preps, but I guess the excessive time spent had more to do with my own lack of confidence.

Today I felt like I was winging it, but things went fine.... and then I realized that no, actually I spent4 hours preparing for the 3 classes (2 preps) I had to teach this morning and afternoon. I was going to say "good for me!I didn't spend too much time prepping today"-- but then I remembered that I spent a bit of time last night preparing, too, which bumps up my hours of preparation to at least 6 (sigh). So that means I've spent nine hours preparing for and teaching today's classes. No wonder I have no life. No wonder it's felt so hard this week to get everything done-- the teaching + the committe work + cooking dinner + half-hearted efforts at cleaning + an occasional shower.

Please, please, let next year be easier.

SupposedlyI need to be doing some research, too, if I want this to turn into a tenure-track position and/or if I want to go on the market again next year. The good news is that I have proofs for my first article (submitted over a year ago) coming my way. I'm nervous about it, want to slip more revisions into it, but I'm not sure if that's kosher at this point. The bad news is that one article's not enough to boost my chances of finding a job somewhere near P. next fall--wherever that may be.

Oh, sweet summer, come.

No comments: