Wednesday, November 09, 2005

still +

I can't believe this is really happening. I'm having a hard time concentrating. Why do I have to work today? P. and I have been trying to keep things a bit quiet until we know a little more (until I've been to the doctor), but I'm terrible with secrets-- especially my own.

I hope everything goes okay with us. There's so much I don't know.

I'm nervous/reluctant to tell my parents... for a while, at least. I'm not sure I can quite make sense of it.... but when P. and I called home to tell them that we were engaged, their reaction was less than enthusiastic-- they hoped it would be a long engagement, it was no shame to not get married if we decided that wasn't the best decision, cultural differences, cultural differences. Some months ago, when talking about another relative who'd gotten pregant again with her second child, my father said something about how there's no shame in not having kids, that it's not for everyone... not quite sure how I'm supposed to take a remark like that. The best thing to do, I guess, to read generously. And by "read generously," I mean, not read too much into it.

if I don't tell someone, I'm afraid I just might explode. So slowly, the secret is eeking out.

(sigh) back to work.

4 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

The first time, we told everyone we knew within about 45 seconds of getting the positive test (which, by the way, in my case always took several days after the missed period to show up positive).

We've got our fingers crossed for you and P. Lean on us if there's any information we can give.

Anonymous said...

When I was pregnant with Linley, I actually had a bunch of people over for Sunday breakfast. I took the test 20 minutes before they arrived, so of course we told everyone. It is so hard to keep something like that quiet. Congratulations!

timna said...

from a different point of view - you don't have to say anything for awhile if you don't want to.

or only tell people who are going to celebrate with you before you start informing the folks that will have so much else to say.

mc said...

I'm about 2.5 weeks ahead of you, and we've told just about everyone we know -- including the owner of the bakery down the street! It's hard to keep quiet about something so huge... Hope whatever you decide about when to tell the parents that it goes well.