Tuesday, May 02, 2006

baby feet

We had a second ultrasound today, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it. The doctor said the ultrasound technician had made a note about one of the feet, which could have just been in an awkward position at the time of the ultrasound, but which also could be a club foot. "I'm sorry to hit you with this zinger," she said. Whatever that means. She said that in six more weeks we can have another ultrasound to check and see how things look then. The whole conversation took only a few minutes, and she was speaking so casually, it was hard for P. or me to figure out how seriously we should take things. I'm confused. The ultrasound technician spent very little time with us: if there were something present that looked like a problem, wouldn't she take a little more time to check things out? Or wouldn't the doctor take a closer look herself? And why wait six more weeks before we can check again? Why not have another ultrasound at the next appointment (in 2 weeks)?

P. & I did some reading about this when we got home, and it wouldn't be the most terrible thing ever if a club foot were what we're dealing with-- there are ways to correct the problem after birth. The news is still a bit unsettling, though.

I have to confess that I chose this ob in part because she's a she, even though a friend at work had much to recommend another (male) doctor in town. My ob has always been very business-like and a little abrupt with us. Most of our appointments haven't lasted longer than 10 minuets. That was okay with me. But this time, that quickness and demeanor didn't feel quite so good. Moving early is starting to look less daunting-- maybe a new ob would be a good change?

No comments: