Friday, March 11, 2005

tempted

There's a new job in my field out in the ads today-- and it's for a university located in a part of the country I'd love to live in. The teaching load is lower than it is here, which means I'd be able to do research much more easily. The salary is significantly higher than I make here. The problem? It's a one-year visiting position. I know what they say about birds in hands and those in bushes, but I'm so ready to get out of this city and state. What to do, what to do? Were I to take a one year job, that'd mean I'd have to be applying again next year.... but if I stay here, I'll probably do that anyway. The other consideration is baby-making-- it's probably considerably less risky to have the kid here, while working the job I'm currently in (in a very friendly and supportive department, no less) than it would be to show up somewhere else where no one knows me and I still have to prove myself, and with my not knowing what complications I might have to face in pregnancy (for there may indeed be some). Argh. I'll probably stay put, I guess. Ohhhhhhhhh, but I'm dreaming.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a theory - it is never a good time to: get married, have a baby, change jobs, move house.... But things have a way of working out.

Look into the job. Will it hurt anything?

Anonymous said...

Of course, if you stay where you are and apply again next year, that will be one less move. (But I say this because I just HATE to move.)

I also think it's very hard to explain to c.v. readers why you've gone from a t-t position (I think you're in a t-t position, right?) to a non-t-t position, voluntarily.

But my role in life is also to be a wet blanket, so feel free to ignore me. (I would be more depressed by getting to live in a place I loved for a year and then leaving it, than by moving for the experience of a year, but I'm not very adventurous.)

Basically, Jill's right that things work out!