Wednesday, March 02, 2005

tumors

In the past two weeks, three of my students have developed tumors. Tumors? 18-20 year olds? Does this seem bizarre to anyone else? I'm seriously starting to wonder if there might be some serious environmental problem going on here.

In my last semester teaching at Big State U., a smart student started missing numerous classes. I finally got in touch with him (by email I think) to ask what was going on... and it turned out he'd recently been diagnosed with lymphoma, and the chemotherapy was making him too nauseous to come to class. Lymphoma's some pretty serious stuff.... and yet he finished out the semester (showing up just occasionally) the best he could. I have no idea how or where or if he is now.

Tumors.

And I thought I'd been having a hard time.

No comments: