Friday, February 11, 2005

anonyms, pseudoyms, flotsam and jetsam

Theres some discussion happening on Cut-rate parasite about the prevalence of academic blogs written under pseudonyms and why there might be so much desire for anonymity among academic bloggers. My own decision not to reveal too much is inspired by several things, but mostly by the chance that my students or fellow colleagues might find me... and the problem with each of those scenarios has to do with the fascades I've been writing about, the ones that inspired me to start blogging in the first place. Who I am with my students, who I am among (many of) my colleagues, who I am in my academic writing don't and won't and can't jive with this person here. I feel compelled to project an air of confidence and competence to my department and to my students. I can't tell my students or my department colleauges about the stage-fright I still sometimes get in the classroom. I'm hesitant to admit to either that certain things in my classes aren't working. I can't worry publically about not having an official contract for next year yet, or about my students not liking me.

I think gender, too, plays a part here. I wonder if there are more pseudonymous academic women blogging than there are men. Discussing pregnancy or childbirth or finding time for either are practically taboo subjects in the academy. Say too much and they just might not rehire you. Say anything about wanting to start a family soon and the deparment might start making plans to replace you. Of the female profs under 40 in our department, none have kids (yet). Of those over 40, I've only heard one talk about her children. I know more about the male profs' kids. Bizarre, but commonplace.

No comments: