Thursday, February 10, 2005

untitlable

This morning I spent a half hour just sitting in the office with a couple colleagues, talking about who's leaving, our dismal salaries and about a summer course in London two of us our trying to get together. Suddenly, in the middle of conversation, one notices a ring on my finger and asks, with a bit of surprise, "did you get married? when did that happen?" He even seems a tiny bit disappointed. I'm flattered. back during my campus visit, months and months ago, we spent an hour or so together on a campus park bench between planned activities/interviews with various folks on campus. There was some sort of energy to that encounter I'd sort of pushed to the back of my mind until now. How does one describe it? The strange sensing of someone else's possible attraction? It was there again this morning. It'll pass, I'm sure.

This morning was a rush, though, 3 (and at one point 4) of us in the office, all the professorial fascades (at least mine) laid aside. These are people I'd hang out with outside of work. Maybe I should.

No comments: