Monday, February 07, 2005

woe

I'm having problems with this writing class. The students are good natured enough, but they just won't talk to me. I'm sure I'm part of the problem. It's the questions I choose to ask, but also, sadly, the material I've chosen for them to read. They're just not getting into it. I'm not sure what to do about the situation... but soon, soon, soon, I'm hoping to have them come up with the next topic we'll examine in class as a group. I need to find a way of getting them to take a stake at what's going on.

It's the strangest thing. When I taught this novel last year, somewhere else, it went over really well-- we had great discussions, everyone was engaged. This year-- they like the novel, but for some reason or other, can't talk about it. Something's just... off.

Meanwhile, I'm have a wonderful time with this Shakespeare class I'm teaching. There's a core group I can always count on to have something to say about what we're reading. They respond to me well, they're interested and intrigued, they ask questions, they try out new ideas. One third of the class seems to be just floating along, though-- don't or won't talk... and several aren't bringing the book to class. These are juniors and seniors... and yet these few seem to think that"the book's too big to lug to class" or "I haven't gotten the book yet" are valid reasons for not participating in class or completing assignments. I've been focusing on the engaged folk, but I'd like to draw the rest of them into the conversation, too.

I'm rambling, and in a way that may or may not be that useful, since I'm hesitant to reveal to much on the off chance that some student stumbles upon this here blog. I expect I'll become more daring as this goes on. But having had the experience of stumbling upon the blogs of some of my students-- one which even mentions me by name-- I'm a little more cautious than I might have been.



No comments: